Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Surprised By Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected About Being A Mom, by Lisa-Jo Baker

 photo 5ab28ae20460a2636cc902480c8831e2_zps048e435a.jpg

Synopsis: A lawyer with a well-stamped passport and a passion for human rights, Lisa-Jo Baker never wanted to be a mom. And then she had kids. Having lost her own mother to cancer as a teenager, Lisa-Jo felt lost on her journey to womanhood and wholly unprepared to raise children.

Surprised by Motherhood is Lisa-Jo’s story of becoming and being a mom, and in the process, discovering that all the “what to expect” and “how to” books in the world can never truly prepare you for the sheer exhilaration, joy, and terrifying love that accompanies motherhood.

Set partly in South Africa and partly in the US (with a slight detour to Ukraine along the way), Surprised by Motherhood is a poignant memoir of one woman’s dawning realization that being a mom isn't about being perfect—it’s about being present.


Thoughts: This is, without question, the best book on motherhood that I have ever read. I would recommend it to every mother, no matter the age of your children.  I laughed, I cried, I shook my head in agreement as I remembered similar experiences in my motherhood journey....and through it all, I managed to hear the still small voice of God telling me that I did NOT fail as a mother, that I was the best mother I knew how to be and that the wonderful adults my children have become are proof of my success. The lessons this book holds were just what I needed to hear to FINALLY accept what people have been telling me for years---because this time, I heard it from HIM.  

(Having listened to my library's audiobook version, I will now always hear Lisa-Jo's beautiful South African accent when I read her blog or Facebook posts!)

1 comment:

Lisa-Jo Baker said...

Oh this is the most lovely, generous and encouraging review. Thank you SO much Teresa. And I LOVE that your library has the audio book already. Wow. And so relieved it turned out ok :)

Many warm thanks
Lisa-Jo

PS and if you wanted to use any portion of this review over on Amazon I would be so grateful!! It's over here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1414387857/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1414387857&linkCode=as2&tag=thgyma-20